We Reno Our Trailer Part 1

by Truck Tents Canada on March 10, 2013

Our 1967 Camper Gets A Full Restoration

In the summer of 2011 we found an old camper for sale and although that it would need a bit of work to restore it the price was right so we bought it.  A week later we hooked up the little camper and headed out to Pancake Bay Provincial Park on Lake Superior.  The camper towed great and we didn’t have any trouble at all with it, although I did notice that the tires seemed to be rubbing on the sides of the fender wells from time to time.

Trailer Before Reno-1

Trailer Before Reno-1

 

Summer 2012 I decided to fix the trailer for our upcoming trip to Esker Lakes Provincial Park.  The kitchen area in the front needed a lot of TLC and the so called washroom area was to be made into storage space.  I had Sean ( our youngest daughters boyfriend) helping me tear out the old “kitchen cabinet” and as we pulled it away from the wall of the trailer the whole front wall dropped about 3″.

" Washroom And Kitchen "

” Washroom And Kitchen “

Front Wall Frame Totally Rotted Away

Front Wall Frame Totally Rotted Away

As we stripped off more of the interior the damage due to dry rot was to extensive to repair and it was decided to completely tear the trailer apart and do a full restoration.

Jade Inspecting The Damage

Jade Inspecting The Damage

The Whole Back Section Just Fell Apart

The Whole Back Section Just Fell Apart

You Can See How Bad The Rot Was

You Can See How Bad The Rot Was

Devon and Sean Helping to Remove The Roof

Devon and Sean Helping to Remove The Roof

When we had the trailer walls removed we discovered there was only one bolt left holding the trailer body to the frame, explains why the trailer tires would rub on the fender wells, it was shifting from side to side.  Good thing it didn’t come off while we were going through the hills up in Lake Superior Provincial Park!

There Was Only One Bolt Here Holding the Body to the Frame

There Was Only One Bolt Here Holding the Body to the Frame

After removing the floor we discovered the frame was badly cracked in the same place on both sides.  Had to take it to my buddy Ron for some welding.

Frame Needed to be Welded on Both Sides

Frame Needed to be Welded on Both Sides

Well its stripped down to the frame and time to start to put her back together.

Stripped Down to the Frame

Stripped Down to the Frame

 

Part 2: the restoration, coming next.

 

 

 

{ 2 comments… read them below or add one }

Lorrie June 4, 2013 at 10:02 am

I had no idea a camper came apart like that or that you could restore one! I can’t wait to see the final restoration!

OutdoorNut June 25, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Wow, I am anxious to see the final product. I am new to your blog and when I saw this resto had to comment. I did the same with a camper about 20 years ago and it looked exactly the same, completely rotten. Just me and my Dad did the complete resto and it was one hec of a project that’s for sure.

I don’t envy the work you have yet to do but when its done it’ll be well worth the effort.

Leave a Comment

Previous post: